Cambridge SoundWorks Newton P500 ($800)
The Newton offers more setup and adjustment options than any other sub here.
What's in the Box?
• Cabinet design sealed
• Finish blond maple or mahogany veneer, or slate gray
• Driver size 8 inches (two)
• Rated Power 500 watts
• Controls variable 50- to 150-Hz low-pass crossover, crossover bypass, high-pass filter, low-pass equalizer, level, variable phase, auto-on; outboard control box
• Warranty 10 years speaker/cabinet, 2 years amplifier and electronics
How Big Is It?
• Dimensions (WxHxD) 13 x 14 x 12 inches
• Volume 1 1/8 cubic feet
• Footprint 1 square foot
• Weight 35 pounds
Ins & Outs
•speaker-level, line-level, and LFE inputs
• L/R high-pass line-level output
How Low Does It Go?
• Bass limit 25 Hz at 70 dB SPL
The Newton's output at 25 Hz was 14 dB below the average for the subs in the test group.
How Big the Bang?
• Average SPL from 25 to 62 Hz 90.8 dB
• Maximum SPL 106.5 dB at 62 Hz
• Dollars per dB $8.81
The sub's already average levels fell off rapidly below 62 Hz.
The Bottom Line
The P500 is pricey, but its small cabinet, deep bass, remote control, and other options might justify the cost for many people. Its setup flexibility is unmatched by the other subs here, but using the outboard control box does mean running more wires.
Manufacturer Cambridge SoundWorks, www.hifi.com, 800-367-4434
|PDF: In the Lab
Copyright © 2013 Bonnier Corp. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.