M&K V-76 ($699)
The specs for the V-76 suggest it can hold its own against higher-powered, higher-priced competitors.
What's in the Box?
• Cabinet design sealed
• Finish flat black
• Driver size 12 inches
• Rated Power 75 watts
• Controls variable 50- to 125-Hz low-pass crossover, level, phase switch; no on/off switch
• Warranty 10 years speaker, 5 years amplifier
How Big Is It?
• Dimensions (WxHxD) 15 3/8 x 18 x 19 7/8 inches
• Volume 3 1/8 cubic feet
• Footprint 2 1/8 square feet
• Weight 48 pounds
Ins & Outs
• line- and speaker-level inputs
• no outputs
How Low Does It Go?
• Bass limit 16 Hz at 71 dB SPL
Pipe-organ lovers will rejoice over the M&K's deep, deep bass.
How Big the Bang?
• Average SPL from 25 to 62 Hz 98.8 dB
• Maximum SPL 106 dB at 62 Hz
• Dollars per dB $7.07
That deep, deep bass is helped by consistently strong output levels.
The Bottom Line
The V-76 offers the best value of any M&K subwoofer I've tested. The precise controls, extended warranty, and ability to go down to an impressive, teeth-rattling 16 Hz will offset its limited feature set for many users.
Manufacturer Miller & Kriesel Sound, www.mksound.com, 818-701-7010
|PDF: In the Lab
Copyright © 2013 Bonnier Corp. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.